Due to maintenance work, our HR Management System might be inaccessible on
Monday, 26 February 2024, from 11:00 to 12:00 CET (UTC+01:00)
Finance Officer, IUCN Lao PDR
The position’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Arrange petty cash replenishments and maintain agreed level of cash in hand for disbursements.
• Review petty cash vouchers for accuracy and approvals.
• Reconcile petty cash in excel sheet on monthly basis the printed and signed version should be accompanied with full supporting documents.
Staff advances/ loan
• Reconcile staff advance and loan accounts of IUCN Lao PDR accounts.
• Coordinate with relevant staff for settling outstanding amounts under their loan/advance accounts on a monthly basis.
• Provide information related to salary deductions and ensure staff loan and advances accounts are fully settled on exit clearance.
• Provide assistance on reconciliation of other balance sheet accounts and of current account with country offices.
• Prepare debit/credit notes for IUCN Lao PDR.
• Coordinate with ARO finance team on cross charge processing.
• Check travel advances, travel claims and other settlement of advances and process journals on travel authority form and travel claim form.
Receive/ invoice cash
• Receive cash from staff and third parties, process receipt vouchers and issue official receipt.
• Prepare invoices to third parties.
Assist Lao PDR Finance Office and Regional Finance Unit in the following tasks
• Where required by the donor provide the relevant documents from files and photo copy the supporting documents for project financial statements.
• Prepare the documentation, make payments for workshop participants, and prepare disbursement statement.
• Enter data into the online accounting system (NAV) and maintain important data/information on local computer.
• Coordinate and provide assistance to Accounts Officer in Asia Regional Office (ARO) regarding accounting cross charges and reporting of Lao PDR office.
• Maintain an updated filing system of project related, country related and all accounting related files;
• File project contracts and file scan version of project contracts.
Monthly project financial reports
• The Finance Officer will provide financial management and accounting functions to support the Country Office Programme and Projects.
• Reconcile bank accounts of IUCN Lao PDR Office on monthly basis.
• Prepare payment requests for project expenses.
• Prepare monthly staff time invoice for the projects.
• Maintain and update monthly staff time budget balance control sheet, checking balance with Project Manager/CTA and Head of Office.
• Prepare project cash flow projections/cash request and monitor the continued availability of funds for project implementation.
IUCN Lao PDR budget
• In consultation with the Head of Office and anticipating budget preparation process on ABC project list forecast (revise 3 times per year on ABC list, internal transfer, income/expenditure/capital, etc).
Monthly MIS review
• Review monthly MIS; provide comments on Lao PDR Office operational expenses if needed.
• Distribute project financial reports information to the project managers and prepare internal monthly, quarterly, mid-year and yearly financial reports for IUCN Lao PDR cost center and all projects in accordance with Internal Agreement in each project.
• Coordinate and facilitate procurement in the IUCN Lao PDR Office.
• Ensure that all procurements follow IUCN procurement guidelines and processes.
• Coordinate with vendors/suppliers, with regard to purchases and procurement; supervise Office Assistant in arranging for quotation from contractor/suppliers relating to purchase of equipment/supplies.
• Ensure that all equipment/supplies are purchased according to IUCN procedure and ensure that every procurement must be done with a sequentially numbered Purchase Order Form.
• Arrange for procurement of air travel tickets when required, however ensuring that the travel requests are supported by the travel authorization and that every ticket issued must be filed with a sequential number.
• Provide supervision and monitoring of Fixed Assets the inventory system being maintained by IUCN Lao PDR. Ensure that the inventory system follows the steps outlined in the ICS Implementation.
• Ensure, as required, coverage of all IUCN Lao PDR assets are under asset insurance in coordination with Head of Office and follow the ICS process in this regard.
• Ensure that all invoices from vendors/ suppliers are checked and charged to proper units or to staff personal account prior making final payment.
• Prepare the Payment Request Form and charged to proper unit/division or to staff personal account prior making the final payment.
• Ensure that staff are billed for private use of vehicle or any other services provided through the office.
• Supervise Office Assistant in disbursing office expenses as well as petty cash in respect of advance payment for visa fee, postage fee and fuel cost for IUCN vehicle and workshop and meeting related expenses.
Carry out any other duties you may be called upon to perform from time to time by the country office and programme/projects.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Financial Management, Commerce, or a related field of study is a must.
• At least five years of progressive experience in the related areas including in a similar position in an international organization.
• Excellent attention to detail with the ability to manage projects through their life cycle.
• Excellent people skills, including in conflict resolution and team building, problem solving, and negotiations.
• Working knowledge (including practical experience) with the local and national labour laws, relevant legislation, policies and procedures relating to both HR and Administration in Lao PDR.
• Ability to work under pressure at times, while maintaining high quality results is an essential requirement
• Be honest, highly organized, responsible, self motivated and able to take initiative under minimum supervision
• A positive and proactive team player with a strong solutions orientation.
• Fluent in English and Lao, good writing skills essential for translation
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: https://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
IUCN is a membership Union uniquely composed of both government and civil society organisations. It provides public, private and non-governmental organisations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together.
Created in 1948, IUCN is now the world’s largest and most diverse environmental network, harnessing the knowledge, resources and reach of more than 1,400 Member organisations and some 15,000 experts. It is a leading provider of conservation data, assessments and analysis. Its broad membership enables IUCN to fill the role of incubator and trusted repository of best practices, tools and international standards.
IUCN provides a neutral space in which diverse stakeholders including governments, NGOs, scientists, businesses, local communities, indigenous peoples organisations and others can work together to forge and implement solutions to environmental challenges and achieve sustainable development.
Working with many partners and supporters, IUCN implements a large and diverse portfolio of conservation projects worldwide. Combining the latest science with the traditional knowledge of local communities, these projects work to reverse habitat loss, restore ecosystems and improve people’s well-being.