Due to maintenance work, our HR Management System might be inaccessible on
Wednesday, 26 April 2017, from 10:00 to 11:00 CEST (UTC+02:00)
International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) helps find pragmatic solutions to the world’s most pressing environment and development challenges. With a strong gender policy that mandates a gender-responsive approach to all programmes and projects Union-wide and throughout partnerships, IUCN is a unique example of a technical environmental institution that champions women’s empowerment and advancing gender equality as intrinsic to meeting its goals. The Global Gender Office (GGO) contributes toward IUCN’s vision and mission by providing innovative approaches, technical support, policy development and capacity building to Government and non-Government members, IUCN programmes and offices, and to a wide range of partners around the world.
The Communications Officer is an essential part of a dynamic team. The Communications Officer reports to the Global Senior Gender Adviser (the Head of the IUCN GGO) and works closely with IUCN GGO’s senior officer, technical and programme specialists, project managers and financial/administrative support staff, as well as communications and technical staff from other parts of the Union. The GGO is based in Washington, DC; many staff are out-posted and remotely based, however, making internal communications as important as external communications. The primary working languages of the office are English and Spanish, while key projects are also implemented/supported in French.
• Ensure consistent, strategic branding of IUCN GGO and of IUCN GGO messages, including through maintaining the IUCN GGO website (www.genderandenvironment.org) and gender pages of the main IUCN site (www.iucn.org); using social media and traditional media/press, as needed; as well as in representation via presentations, events, etc.
• Guide and manage the development, editing and production of IUCN GGO knowledge products (e.g., reports, factsheets, thematic briefs), including to align with IUCN style guide(s) and relevant partner, donor or project brands (e.g., USAID; EGI)
• Develop and implement an IUCN GGO communications strategy, as well as specific project communications strategies, as required, including toward identifying and taking advantage of key events and opportunities for strategic communications
• Ensure consistency and complementarity between IUCN GGO and wider IUCN communications efforts, especially programmes, offices and teams with whom IUCN GGO specifically currently partners, as well as with external donors/partners
• Create, facilitate and/or manage communications of multi-cultural, cross-sectoral networks
• Support the Global Senior Gender Adviser with research, talking points and other administrative/technical tasks, as needed, as well as with donor relations and reporting
• Support IUCN GGO-wide efforts toward consistent internal communications and knowledge-sharing
• Working closely with the IUCN Global Communications Unit, identify opportunities and produce communications content to highlight IUCN GGO work through IUCN corporate channels including the IUCN website, media and social media
In addition/ in complement to above responsibilities, specific priority duties in 2017 will include:
Strategic and Project-specific Support
• Develop, coordinate and deliver communications strategies for specific projects, especially as related to the Gender Equality for Climate Change Opportunities (GECCO) initiative, an IUCN-USAID joint initiative
• Support the networking and communications activities of expert working groups and discussion platforms, as well as support knowledge-sharing activities such as webinar series
• Oversee production timelines, budgets and impact of forthcoming IUCN GGO knowledge products, from copy editing to managing design and branding, to tracking results for internal M&E, across all projects
• Update and manage content for relevant websites and platforms, including ensuring featured news and project pages, as well as the IUCN GGO Knowledge Center, among all other sections on the IUCN GGO website, are current and strategically focused
• Support IUCN GGO staff to develop and deliver effective communication strategies for their projects in line with the overall IUCN and IUCN GGO communication strategies
• Develop and deliver a bi-annual GGO newsletter
• Effectively support high-level speaking engagements for staff
• In close collaboration with IUCN Global Communications Unit, and following relevant global communications policies and guidelines, help manage social media and media relations on gender-related topics
- Gross salary USD 60’000 per year
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, life and long term disability insurance plan
- Retirement benefit of 5% of gross salary from the 4th month of employment
- 7.65% of gross salary FICA contribution (this benefit is only applicable to US nationals and green card holders)
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST).
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/