Data Entry Officer
This position will be responsible for the collection and input of information of trade from online and media sources in an accurate and consistent manner into a pre-formatted excel sheet in preparation for database entry.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Collect and compile media stories in relation to incidents of poaching, seizures, arrests and investigations in Viet Nam for input into the excel sheet (in both Vietnamese and English-language news). Verification on as many of these instances as possible with regional TRAFFIC / WWF office and other NGOs in the region.
• Collect other trade data and enter data in the spreadsheet. Verification on as many of these instances as possible with regional TRAFFIC / WWF office and other NGOs in the region.
• To enable the consistent monitoring of cases, research and follow up is required to track progress of investigations.
• Collect and compile information regarding trade related enforcement actions, including arrests and convictions in Viet Nam. All information pertaining to illegal trade is to be researched and recorded.
• Support the research of emerging modus operandi, locations of concerns, and arrests of groups / organised crime groups in relation to any type of illegal wildlife trade in the region.
• Seek information from other NGOs working in the region and gather information, research and input from newsletters.
• Any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Must be eligible to live and work in Vietnam
• Familiarity with and an interest in conservation and trade data;
• Experience with the collection and collation of data; Experience with database software is desirable
• Sound IT skills, particularly Excel;
• An eye for detail and a keen interest and ability to analyse data to recognise connections between different data sources.
• Native Vietnamese and fluent English including excellent English writing skills
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as part of a diverse team as well as independently, with respect for and sensitivity to multi-cultural approaches;
• Independent thinker and showing initiative in developing innovative approaches.
• Experience of database software is desirable
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
IUCN is a membership Union uniquely composed of both government and civil society organisations. It provides public, private and non-governmental organisations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together.
Created in 1948, IUCN is now the world’s largest and most diverse environmental network, harnessing the knowledge, resources and reach of more than 1,300 Member organisations and some 10,000 experts. It is a leading provider of conservation data, assessments and analysis. Its broad membership enables IUCN to fill the role of incubator and trusted repository of best practices, tools and international standards.
IUCN provides a neutral space in which diverse stakeholders including governments, NGOs, scientists, businesses, local communities, indigenous peoples organisations and others can work together to forge and implement solutions to environmental challenges and achieve sustainable development.
Working with many partners and supporters, IUCN implements a large and diverse portfolio of conservation projects worldwide. Combining the latest science with the traditional knowledge of local communities, these projects work to reverse habitat loss, restore ecosystems and improve people’s well-being.