Hydro database and GIS Expert
This will be a locally recruited position. The expert will be located in the Water Resources Management Department of the Rwanda Water and Forestry Authority (RWFA).
The Hydro database and GIS Expert will work with the team of the RWFA/WRMD and other Technical Advisors namely, the water resources engineering advisor and the catchment planning and landscape restoration advisor. The main role of the Hydro databased and GIS expert is to provide technical assistance for the improvement, management and use of the following tools related to integrated water resources management in Rwanda; Aquarius database, IWRM-Geoportal, File Server, Integration of telemetry stations, Water portal, water permit, CROM DSS tool, etc. He/She will work closely with a Team of Staff from RWFA/WRMD in the area of Data collection, hydrometry, water user’s system management, GIS and IT.
• Liaison with the directors of units, water resources monitoring staffs , catchment planning and landscape restoration Advisor and the water resources engineering advisor in implementing related project activities;
• Work together with RWFA/WRMD Key staff and provide support for setting up the data processing flow in AQUARIUS Database;
• Support the integration in AQUARIUS Database of new acquired water resources monitoring stations (all technology included);
• Support the integration in AQUARIUS Database of database systems of partner’s organizations like Meteo- Rwanda, etc.
• Facilitate the implementation and integration of water monitoring reports and hydrological bulletins templates in AQUARIUS Database;
• Upgrade the RWFA/WRMD geoportal and water portal, with a frond-end more user friendly based on Java Scripting tools;
• Work together with the GIS Officers of RWFA/WRMD on geographic data processing and uploading in the Geo-Database (Geoportal);
• Work together with the IT staff of RWFA/WRMD on the operationalization of the file server;
• Propose, develop and implement a solution for RWFA/WRMD documents management and archiving;
• Upgrade the scripts that integrate the new or existing telemetric stations in AQUARIUS Database, to a solution with graphic user interface based on Node.js technology;
• Work together with IT staff of RWFA/WRMD, Water Monitoring Team and Water User Officers to upgrade the water portal and water permit system to the latest stable version of Drupal8 with more features;
• Work together with Catchment management officer, GIS Officer and catchment planning and landscape restoration advisor to update and upgrade the existing CROM DSS;
• Conceptualize and implement a capacity building program for related topics through the development of training materials and delivery of training courses on Hydro-database tools for water resources planning and management to the RWFA/WRMD Staffs;
• Provide support to the RWFA/WRMD in supervising short and long term consultants, including the elaboration of Terms of Reference related to hydro-database and managing the consultants’ work, and ensuring quality delivery;
• Perform any other duty as may be assigned by RWFA/WRMD.
• MSc in a relevant field preferably hydro-informatics or applied sciences with a specialization in Information Technologies.
• At least 5 years of proven practical experience in hydro-database for Water resources monitoring, planning and management, and information systems technologies;
• Demonstrated proven practical experience in using AQURIUS Database, web-portal and Geoportal development, CROM-DSS etc.;
• Demonstrate proven practical experience in using GIS and MATLAB or Python;
• Demonstrate proven practical experience in telemetry integration and graphic user interface based on Node technology;
• Demonstrate knowledge on water resources monitoring networks for surface water, groundwater and water quality;
Work experience in the Rwanda water sector is preferable;
• Demonstrable technical advisory and facilitation skills;
• Experience with water related project development including use of GIS for catchment planning implementation and management;
• Experience in working for an international organization is an added advantage.
• Excellent command of English and strong verbal and written communication skills. Sound command of the French Language both written and spoken
• Core Competencies
• Transparency: Able to build trust and contribute to informed and responsible decision making by carrying out the work of RWFA/WRMD in a transparent manner; provides clear guidance to ensure that members of the team understand the objectives and desired measurable results.
• Inclusiveness: Understands and accepts cultural diversity, and provide a tolerant, positive and supportive working environment that fosters respect for diversity, demonstrates ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
• Professionalism: Promote the RWFA/WRMD interests, objectives and values in a diligent and professional manner.
• Accountability: Takes responsibility of individual and collective actions, promotes the RWFA/WRMD Landscape management and Integrated Water Resources Management approach.
• Functional competencies
• Should be self-motivated and proactive
• Should have strong, demonstrable analytical skills
• Should have strong interpersonal and communication skills and be able to employ diplomacy, especially when collaborating with a broad range of stakeholders
• Fluency in English, with the ability to articulate oneself well in writing
• Ability to develop a strong personal network in Rwanda water sector.
• Must have excellent IT skills (e.g. MS Office, online research, scripting, GIS etc.); ability to learn new tools is an asset
• Must have excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage and prioritize own workload
• Must be an excellent team player and is expected to work well in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
• Committed to continuous learning and proactive and mature attitude towards self-development;
• Ability and willingness to travel
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
IUCN is a membership Union uniquely composed of both government and civil society organisations. It provides public, private and non-governmental organisations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together.
Created in 1948, IUCN is now the world’s largest and most diverse environmental network, harnessing the knowledge, resources and reach of more than 1,300 Member organisations and some 10,000 experts. It is a leading provider of conservation data, assessments and analysis. Its broad membership enables IUCN to fill the role of incubator and trusted repository of best practices, tools and international standards.
IUCN provides a neutral space in which diverse stakeholders including governments, NGOs, scientists, businesses, local communities, indigenous peoples organisations and others can work together to forge and implement solutions to environmental challenges and achieve sustainable development.
Working with many partners and supporters, IUCN implements a large and diverse portfolio of conservation projects worldwide. Combining the latest science with the traditional knowledge of local communities, these projects work to reverse habitat loss, restore ecosystems and improve people’s well-being.