Due to maintenance work, our HR Management System might be inaccessible on
Monday, 30 May 2016, from 10:00 to 11:00 CEST (UTC+02:00)
Director - Brussels office
The Director of the IUCN Brussels Office (herein referred to as the Director) represents the IUCN Secretariat and provides leadership and guidance for all activities undertaken by the Secretariat within the EU context in Brussels. The Director of the IUCN Office in Brussels reports to the Director General of IUCN.
The contract offered for this position is for two years (renewable).
The main responsibilities of this key senior level position are:
• Establish long-term cooperation with the EU institutions, including national representatives;
• Promote IUCN’s mission and ensure that IUCN’s global and European knowledge, policies and programmes are reflected in EU policy decisions that impact nature conservation and sustainable development in Europe and globally;
• Promote nature-based solutions through EU policies and programmes;
• Establish strategic alliances with environmental NGOs working on European policies;
• Provide a policy exchange platform for IUCN Members with a presence in Brussels;
• Inform the IUCN constituency of EU policy developments and channel IUCN inputs into EU decision-making.
• Develop and implement a diversified fundraising strategy targeted at EU institutional sources and the private sector for IUCN’s global and European work through the Secretariat, Commissions and Members in close collaboration with the Strategic Partnerships Unit in Headquarters;
• Identify EU funding opportunities and channel this information to the relevant IUCN components;
• Strengthen a project portfolio to achieve IUCN’s mission, in collaboration with Global Programmes;
• Establish solid relationships with key donors in Brussels.
• Represent, or arrange for appropriate representation of IUCN in the most essential EU expert groups, meetings and events in Brussels;
• Initiate and engage in partnerships with other environmental policy organizations based in Brussels;
• Within available resources, organize events and meetings to present IUCN products and knowledge at relevant times in the EU decision-making process;
• Provide a meeting place for IUCN Members, Commissions and Secretariat in Brussels.
• Oversee recruitment and administration of IUCN staff in the Brussels Office, including performance assessment, annual work plans, and evolving employment conditions consistent with IUCN policies;
• Provide guidance and oversee the support to out-posted staff located in Brussels from other components of the Secretariat in close collaboration with their respective line managers;
• Manage the budget of the IUCN Office in Brussels;
• Actively participate in IUCN’s senior management structure and participate as a member of the Senior Management Advisory Team (SMAT);
• Ensure that the IUCN Association in Brussels (AISBL) continues to operate within Belgian law.
The gross annual salary for this position is in the range from EUR 81'787 to EUR 102'234.
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST).
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/