Senior Finance and Admin Officer
• Maintain the general accounting systems, and ensuring reliability of accounting records and timeliness of financial reports of the Country Office in accordance with IUCN policies and procedures and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Manage and control the administration of all financial, treasury and accounting activities in accordance with IUCN policies and in compliance with fiscal, legal and statutory requirements of the host country.
• Provide management with guidance on financial guidance on financial management by assisting in the planning and budgeting for the country’s financial operations and providing the analysis and interpretation of the results for sound management decision and action.
• Provide programmes and projects within the Country Office with the appropriate financial support for the efficient and effective project implementation.
• Coordinate and provide the required financial information and requirements of the Asia Regional Office and IUCN HQ.
• Facilitate and engage with tax authorities to ensure tax refund for country office, and projects if required in collaboration with the Finance Team.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND TASKS:
Accounting and Reporting
• Supervise the recording classifying and summarizing of the financial transactions of IUCN Bangladesh Country Office and ensuring the proper update and maintenance of the ERP system to ensure that the accounting system provides the basis for an efficient financial information system for both internal and external users and that is compliant with legal and statutory requirements and IUCN policy.
• Analyze and interpret the IUCN Bangladesh financial statements and project financial reports and provide regular reports to management. Recommend courses of action to improve efficiency and economy.
• Review and provide guidance and coaching to accounting staff ensuring accuracy, correctness and completeness of transactions recorded.
• Ensure the timeliness of required financial reports to the Country Office management, Asia Regional Office and donors
• Review and ensure that debit/credit notes are properly invoiced and that the current accounts are regularly reconciled with Regional Office
• Ensure that all Balance Sheet accounts are reviewed and reconciled each month
Treasury and Cash Management
• Prepare the Country Office cash flow projections and monitor the continued availability of funds to cover the requirements of the Country Office operations and its components projects and programmes
• Formulate and implement an approved plan to maximize the yield on idle or unspent funds of the Country Office
• Review and ensure that disbursements are properly supported with evidential documentation and that they are properly identified into its cost center or project codes.
• Monitor exchange rates for non-ledger currencies, and obtain necessary approvals before converting foreign currency amounts in line with established thresholds and limits
• Maintain and reconcile cash and bank balances on a regular basis
Planning and Budgeting
• Coordinate and lead the planning and budgeting exercise for the Bangladesh Country Office operations and assist in projects and programmes budgets, and ensuring that the assumptions, parameters, guidelines and policies in planning are complied with.
• Review and monitor budget performance of the country operations and its projects and programmes and make recommendations to improve performance.
• Ensure timely preparation, distribution and review of monthly management reports for the country office and projects
• Assist programme staff in the preparation of proposal / project budgets, including use of approved budget templates
• Assist programme staff in the preparation of the ABC list, including verification of data against approved budgets and proposals.
• Continuously review all transactions to ensure compliance with Internal Control System and thereby ensure the provision of accurate and timely financial information, protection of assets and adherence to policies, system and procedures and the smooth and orderly implementation of the plans and activities.
Fixed Asset Management
• Ensure the identification and proper inventory of fixed assets of the Country Office thru the conduct of an annual inventory to determine their location and condition for proper disposition
• Determine accuracy of depreciation in accordance with IUCN policy and that the assets are adequately protected
• Ensure that the systems and procedures are in place to enable accurate preparation and disbursement of the payroll in compliance with statutory requirements
• Sign off on the monthly payroll by reviewing and checking the accuracy of amounts to be paid to staff
• Coordinate with auditors in the external and internal audit of the Country Office and its component programmes and projects and manage the audit independently.
• Communicate with the concerned staff of Audit findings and ensure closure and resolution of audit findings.
• Ensure effective implementation of existing policies, procedures and systems and that they are in line with current needs and in accordance with the policies of the region.
• Control the administration systems within IUCN Bangladesh in terms of effective structures and operating systems in accordance with the standard practice and requirements.
• Make recommendations and provide advice for improvements to the existing systems, procedures and records
• Provide guidance in the timely resolution of administrative issues and conflicts as they arise
• Review the division of work and workflows amongst the staff in the Administration Unit and make recommendations for improvements.
• Manage staff performance and provide recommendations capacity development
• Ensure that the Admin Unit maintains and updates an Administrative Procedures Manual for the Bangladesh country office in keeping with regional policies.
• Evaluate and monitor internal administrative control systems and give recommendations to the Country Representative for improvement.
• Ensure that fixed assets in the country office are utilised and maintained in accordance with Financial directives.
• Manage all aspects related to the organization of national and international workshops and conferences held by the Country office
• Liaise with the Department of Immigration and Emigration and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in accordance with the needs of the Country Office
• Control the purchase of all fixed assets for the Country office in accordance with set guidelines
• Responsible for insurance policies and claims such as Vehicles, Travel, Third Party, Burglary, Fire and Natural perils and ensure that they are current and adequate.
• Perform other duties as may be reasonably required.
• An Advanced University Degree in Accounting, Financial Management, Business Administration, or a relevant field
• A minimum of 7 years’ relevant experience, inclusive of experience working in a regional/international organisation. Previous experience of working with government would be desirable, with at least 3 years’ experience in mid-level managerial role
• Prior experience in the use of financial and accounting modules within an ERP
• Sound understanding of relevant legislation, policies and procedures
• Skills in team building, problem solving, time management, stress management and negotiations
• Highly motivated and results-oriented individual
• Fluent in English (verbal/written) with excellent communication and presentation skills
• Proficient in the use of computer applications including MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint and other web-based management systems), Email, Internet and ability to learn other organizational applications
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
IUCN is a membership Union uniquely composed of both government and civil society organisations. It provides public, private and non-governmental organisations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together.
Created in 1948, IUCN is now the world’s largest and most diverse environmental network, harnessing the knowledge, resources and reach of more than 1,300 Member organisations and some 10,000 experts. It is a leading provider of conservation data, assessments and analysis. Its broad membership enables IUCN to fill the role of incubator and trusted repository of best practices, tools and international standards.
IUCN provides a neutral space in which diverse stakeholders including governments, NGOs, scientists, businesses, local communities, indigenous peoples organisations and others can work together to forge and implement solutions to environmental challenges and achieve sustainable development.
Working with many partners and supporters, IUCN implements a large and diverse portfolio of conservation projects worldwide. Combining the latest science with the traditional knowledge of local communities, these projects work to reverse habitat loss, restore ecosystems and improve people’s well-being.