1) Financial planning, budgeting and reporting
• Coordinate the annual budgeting process as well as any other financial plans and forecasts.
• Prepare financial management reports to track performance against budget and report the results to management.
• Provide advice to the Regional Director and other staff on all financial matters, including making recommendations for improving efficiency and optimizing the use of financial resources.
2) Project financial management
• Provide support to Unit staff on all areas of project financial management, including budgeting, monitoring, reporting and compliance with donor financial rules and regulations.
• Assist staff in the preparation and review of proposed agreements/ contracts with external parties.
• Maintain project financial information in IUCN systems
• Advise implementing partner organizations in accounting and reporting and other financial processes to ensure compliance with donor funding requirements.
• Ensure that all financial transactions of the European Regional Office are accurately and timely recorded in the IUCN financial system in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, legal and statutory requirements and IUCN accounting policies.
• Administer the IUCN financial system, including ensuring master data is updated, transactional data is correctly recorded, and standard financial processes are adhered to.
• Ensure that all balance sheet accounts are reconciled in accordance with IUCN accounting policies and procedures.
4) Treasury and cash management
• Process payments as and when they fall due, ensuring compliance with contractual payment terms.
• Prepare cash flow projections and monitor the continued availability of funds to cover the requirements of the European Regional Office operations and its projects and programmes.
• Work with IUCN HQ finance unit to optimize the level of cash held and to minimize exchange rate risk.
• Ensure the Office bank mandate is kept up-to-date as required by IUCN Finance and Belgium banking rules.
5) Financial control, risk management and compliance
• Ensure that an internal control framework is in place and that processes are in place to ensure compliance with IUCN established procedures.
• Ensure the completeness and accuracy of financial data through the establishment of checklists and monthly reviews of financial data.
6) Fixed Asset Management
• Maintain the fixed register and ensure the identification and proper inventory of fixed assets of the European Regional Office.
• Ensure purchases, disposals, write down of assets and deprecation are in accordance with IUCN policy and that the assets are adequately protected.
7) HR and Administration
• Ensure that systems and procedures are in place to enable accurate preparation and disbursement of the payroll by the external payroll administrator and in compliance with Belgian statutory requirements.
• Manage employment contract and recruitment procedures, for Brussels staff as well as resignations and terminations.
• Maintain HR files and employee data in the HRMS database.
• Fulfil HR statutory reporting requirements.
• Support staff in time-recording processes.
8) Audit and tax
• Assist and provide information to IUCN statutory auditors and project auditors as and when required in accordance with Belgian accounting legislation.
• Manage Belgian statutory tax reporting requirements.
9) Carry out any other relevant task required by, and mutually agreed with, the line manager.
• Proven work experience in a similar role, with responsibility for a wide range of financial accounting functions
• Experience working in the not-for-profit sector
• Finance qualification or appropriate financial experience
• Good knowledge of standard accounting practices
• Ability to analyse data and communicate financial information to stakeholders
• Experience with computerised accounting systems - familiarity with Microsoft Dynamics Navigator an advantage
• Familiarity with standard office tools
• Fluency in French and English
• Ability to work effectively in a team and also independently and to use initiative
• Professional approach to work, organised and attention to detail
• You must have the automatic right to live and work in Belgium (EU citizen/Holder of a valid Belgium work permit).
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
IUCN is a membership Union uniquely composed of both government and civil society organisations. It provides public, private and non-governmental organisations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together.
Created in 1948, IUCN is now the world’s largest and most diverse environmental network, harnessing the knowledge, resources and reach of more than 1,300 Member organisations and some 10,000 experts. It is a leading provider of conservation data, assessments and analysis. Its broad membership enables IUCN to fill the role of incubator and trusted repository of best practices, tools and international standards.
IUCN provides a neutral space in which diverse stakeholders including governments, NGOs, scientists, businesses, local communities, indigenous peoples organisations and others can work together to forge and implement solutions to environmental challenges and achieve sustainable development.
Working with many partners and supporters, IUCN implements a large and diverse portfolio of conservation projects worldwide. Combining the latest science with the traditional knowledge of local communities, these projects work to reverse habitat loss, restore ecosystems and improve people’s well-being.