EU Communications Intern
Note: This position is demanding and an intense workload is foreseen. We are seeking for a highly motivated young professional who is willing to learn new skills, share his/her knowledge and bring fresh ideas for effective and inspiring communications about the importance of conserving nature. The position holder will work very closely with the Communications Officer and will participate in all implementation phases of the communications strategies. S/he will assist in crafting and carrying out targeted actions for influencing EU nature-related policies. Our objective is to bring biodiversity conservation at the heart of the EU policy debate. To achieve our goals, we work closely with EU officials and MEPs, with national representative and our partners, ranging from companies, business associations, NGOs and academic institutions.
• Regular updating of the IUCN European webpages via CMS
• Assisting in the production of corporate and project publications by gathering and/or drafting information and carrying our background research
• Helping with layout of publications and coordination of designers’ work
• Carrying out research for and writing webstories and articles for IUCN’s and external newsletters and websites
• Assisting in organising events and presence at events, e.g. Green Week
• Supporting work targeted to Brussels media and keeping the media database up-to-date
• Updating mailing lists and databases
• Contributing to the development and dissemination of audio and video materials
• Supporting IUCN’s social media efforts (Facebook, Twitter)
• Participating in monitoring progress of the communications strategy, via media coverage and newsletter reports, website statistics.
• Supporting the production of a series of policy briefs on BiodivERsA research projects (http://www.iucn.org/about/union/secretariat/offices/europe/activities/?12788/Bridging-science-and-policy-with-the-BiodivERsA-network)
• Assisting with day to day administration tasks.
- Interest to work in an international and multi-cultural environment
- Keen interest in EU nature policies and science-policy communications
- Very strong motivation to contribute to IUCN’s work
- Knowledge of EU policy-making
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Highly motivated to learn and develop new skills
- Very good eye for detail and accuracy
- Team player with an ability to work independently
- Ability to work with short deadlines and multiple simultaneous tasks
- Native English speaker (or native level)
- Affinity with the vision and mission of IUCN
- Database and website management experience is an asset
- Familiarity with biodiversity and environmental issues is an asset
- Previous experience in communications is an asset
- Knowledge of French, Spanish and other European languages is an asset
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, helps the world find pragmatic solutions to our most pressing environment and development challenges.
IUCN works on biodiversity, energy, human livelihoods and greening the world economy by supporting scientific research, managing field projects all over the world, and bringing governments, NGOs, the UN and companies together to develop policy, laws and best practice.
IUCN is the world’s oldest and largest global environmental organization, with more than 1,200 government and NGO members and almost 11,000 volunteer experts in some 160 countries. IUCN’s work is supported by over 1,000 staff in 45 offices and hundreds of partners in public, NGO and private sectors around the world.