Due to maintenance work, our HR Management System might be inaccessible on
Thursday, 2 December 2021, from 11:00 to 12:00 CET (UTC+01:00)
Senior Programme Officer
IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, helps the world find pragmatic solutions to our most pressing environment and development challenges. IUCN’s work focuses on valuing and conserving nature, ensuring effective and equitable governance of its use, and deploying nature-based solutions to global challenges in climate, food and development. IUCN supports scientific research, manages field projects all over the world, and brings governments, NGOs, the UN and companies together to develop policy, laws and best practice. IUCN is the world’s oldest and largest global environmental organization, with almost 1,300 government and NGO Members and more than 15,000 volunteer experts in 185 countries. IUCN’s work is supported by almost 1,000 staff in 45 offices and hundreds of partners in public, NGO and private sectors around the world.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director, Asia and the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Senior Programme Officer will be responsible for Programme development, Project/Programmes implementation for the India Country Office of IUCN. As a team member of Programme Unit, the incumbent will also be responsible to support the development and consolidation of IUCN India and the implementation of projects of the Country Office.
1. Manage and supervise all project activities as outlined in the agreement between donor and IUCN and subsequent revisions agreed upon by donor and IUCN;
2. Manage the project budget by ensuring the application of all appropriate IUCN and donor policies, procedures, and guidelines;
3. Manage and lead the project team, including the volunteers and the consultants, and ensure timely outputs from them;
4. Maintain close relationship with donor and its pertinent staff and wings for compliance, funding, capacity development, and building networks for effective implementation of the project;
5. Develop and maintain networks, collaborations and partnerships with organizations, individuals and stakeholders on a regular basis in line with the project needs, risk management, and for smooth project implementation;
6. Ensure that all project reports on performance, financial, personnel, and procurement and all other committed deliverables are produced, submitted and accepted by donor on a timely manner as per the agreement;
7. Ensure that the project work and progress are properly and regularly communicated with different stakeholders including other relevant government agencies;
8. Ensure all necessary IUCN’s management requirements, including timely submission of work plans, budgets, internal agreements, contracts, and progress reports;
9. Guide project team members to monitoring the performance of the project and track progress on issues, and report against key performance indicators of the project(s) in the light of monitoring protocol of the project;
10. Ensure that the project communications plan is properly implemented in the light of pertinent policies and guidelines of IUCN and donor; and
11. Ensure that IUCN and donor policies and mandates as outlined in the agreement are duly complied by the project team.
1. Contribute actively to the growth of the IUCN by designing and implementing projects under thematic areas, particularly on Agriculture and natural resource governance, and in the light of IUCN Programme 2020-2024;
2. Develop and submit proposals to appropriate agencies to fund initiatives in line with IUCN’s mandates;
3. Provide technical inputs into IUCN India integrated programme planning and other thematic programmes through technical inputs into project proposals, project implementation and monitoring, workshops, publications and papers, etc.; and
4. Cross programme learning on integrating environment, disaster management, food security, climate change, and sustainable livelihoods approaches along with mainstreaming of gender issues.
1. Effectively contribute to implementing IUCN's 'One Programme' approach;
2. Support the institutionalisation of relationships with members, partners and other organizations of IUCN India’s constituency;
3. Be a focal point in the India Office for interaction with respect to areas in the line with IUCN's thematic areas, programme areas, and Commissions;
4. Support the organisational restructuring and systems development needed to manage a growing programme;
5. Ensure IUCN's brand and image are properly presented and maintained in all activities, forums and areas while developing and managing the country programme;
6. Develop and manage networks, and attend meetings and workshops related to the Country Programme;
7. Interact regularly with ministries and other agencies, local government, IUCN Members, IUCN Commissions, non-government agencies, development agencies, peers, scientists, and grassroots stakeholders to advise, plan, and design collaborative or interactive projects, and ensure projects are based on sound environmental knowledge;
8. Ensure that relevant information is communicated laterally, vertically and externally as appropriate; and
9. Undertake any other tasks that may be assigned by the Program Manager of IUCN India, from time to time.
• Bachelor's degree in Agriculture, Forestry, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management or other closely related fields, with 6 years relevant professional experience;
• Master's degree in Agriculture, Forestry, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management or other closely related fields, with 5 years relevant professional experience;
• Project management experience associated with agriculture addressing ecological and biodiversity concerns and livelihood improvements;
• Experience in field programme/project operations, liaising with government, national and international organizations and development partners and in preparing proposals for funding, monitoring budgets and preparing financial reports in donor-specific formats;
• Excellent presentation, writing and spoken communication skills in English are essential;
• International experience will be an added advantage; work experience in more than one location or area of work is a plus;
• With residence status, or the appropriate employment visa for India.
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
IUCN is a membership Union uniquely composed of both government and civil society organisations. It provides public, private and non-governmental organisations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together.
Created in 1948, IUCN is now the world’s largest and most diverse environmental network, harnessing the knowledge, resources and reach of more than 1,300 Member organisations and some 10,000 experts. It is a leading provider of conservation data, assessments and analysis. Its broad membership enables IUCN to fill the role of incubator and trusted repository of best practices, tools and international standards.
IUCN provides a neutral space in which diverse stakeholders including governments, NGOs, scientists, businesses, local communities, indigenous peoples organisations and others can work together to forge and implement solutions to environmental challenges and achieve sustainable development.
Working with many partners and supporters, IUCN implements a large and diverse portfolio of conservation projects worldwide. Combining the latest science with the traditional knowledge of local communities, these projects work to reverse habitat loss, restore ecosystems and improve people’s well-being.