Due to maintenance work, our HR Management System might be inaccessible on
Wednesday, 26 April 2017, from 10:00 to 11:00 CEST (UTC+02:00)
EU Programme Officer Nature Based Solutions
The IUCN European Regional Office is an out-posted Headquarters unit providing global services to the organization. With premises located in Brussels, Belgium, the office provides vital linkages for IUCN (and its Members, National Committees, scientific Commissions and the global Secretariat) to key European Union (EU) institutions and other public and private actors with regional headquarters in Brussels.
Nature Based Solutions & Local and Regional Authorities
Europe faces enormous challenges, such as mitigating climate change, enhancing resilience to natural disasters, ensuring safe and nutritious food to more than 500 million people, safeguarding water and air quality, protecting biodiversity, strengthening the economy, and dealing with increasing urbanization and human health issues.
Using nature to respond to some of the most pressing challenges of our time can be cost-effective, help safeguard the environment and halt biodiversity loss, and provide numerous economic and social benefits. IUCN engages with policy makers, scientists, planners, practitioners, land owners, businesses and civil society to promote nature based solutions to complement traditional conservation actions.
One of the key focus areas of the IUCN European Union Programme is to collaborate closely with local and regional authorities for the implementation of nature based solutions. Urban landscapes are the everyday environment for the majority of the global population, with more than 75 per cent of Europeans living in these areas. The continuous increase in the number and size of urban regions, and the ensuing transformation of landscapes, pose great challenges for reducing the rate of biodiversity loss and ensuring human welfare. IUCN is committed to mobilising the biodiversity conservation expertise of its large network to help local and regional authorities raise awareness for the value of nature and incorporate nature-based solutions within their planning and policies to ensure a sustainable future.
Under the supervision of EU Programme Manager Nature Based Solutions, the EU Programme Officer Nature Based Solutions will perform the following tasks:
• Coordinate the delivery of tasks part of European projects on nature-based solutions, liaising with project partners and drawing on IUCNs knowledge network to provide inputs for deliverables as required;
• Develop new project ideas and support fundraising efforts to help IUCN expand its engagement with local and regional governments for nature-based solutions, and strengthen IUCNs involvement in related networks and initiatives in Europe;
• Lead the development of promotional and communication materials, such as webstories, presentations, project brochures and webinars, that help raise awareness for the value of nature based solutions for specialist and non-specialist audiences;
• Develop and maintain collaboration with IUCN Members and partners across Europe and represent IUCN at external events;
• Organisation and assistance with the preparation of events and workshops
• Follow closely EU policy developments related to nature-based solutions;
• Coordinate the development of a database of examples and best practices related to nature based solutions;
• Responsible for technical reporting and administrative management of projects.
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST).
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/