• Ensure that all day-to-day financial transactions of the Belgium Office are accurately and timely recorded in the IUCN financial system in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, IUCN accounting policies and Belgium legal and statutory requirements.
• Administer the IUCN financial system, including ensuring master data is updated, transactional data is correctly recorded, and standard financial processes are adhered to.
• Ensure that all balance sheet accounts are reconciled in accordance with IUCN accounting policies and procedures and timely submitted on the NAV Checklist in the IUCN financial system.
2) Project financial management
• Provide support to program staff on all areas of project financial management, including budgeting, monitoring, reporting and compliance with donor financial rules and regulations.
• Assist staff in the preparation and review of proposed agreements/ contracts with external parties.
• Maintain project financial information in IUCN systems
• Prepare financial reports to donors in compliance with contracts financial rules
3) Payroll and time management
• Ensure that systems and procedures are in place to enable accurate preparation and disbursement of the payroll by the external payroll administrator and in compliance with Belgian statutory requirements.
• Ensure timely payment of payroll related taxes and social charges.
• Support staff in time-recording processes on TMS including TMS budget allocations.
4) Financial planning, budgeting and reporting
• Coordinate the annual budgeting process as well as any other financial plans and forecasts.
• Prepare financial management reports to track performance against budget and report the results to management.
• Provide advice to the Head of Belgium Office and other staff on all financial matters, including making recommendations for improving efficiency and optimizing the use of financial resources.
5) Cash management
• Process payments as and when they fall due, ensuring compliance with contractual payment terms.
• Prepare cash flow projections and monitor the continued availability of funds to cover the requirements of the Belgium Office operations and its projects and programmes.
• Ensure the Office bank mandate is kept up-to-date as required by IUCN Finance and Belgium banking rules.
6) Financial control, risk management and compliance
• Ensure that an internal control framework is in place and that processes are in place to ensure compliance with IUCN established procedures.
• Ensure the completeness and accuracy of financial data through the establishment of checklists and monthly reviews of financial data.
7) Audit and tax
• Assist and provide information to IUCN statutory auditors and project auditors as and when required in accordance with Belgian accounting legislation.
• Assist in reconciling IUCN annual financial accounts with Belgian GAAP as applied to associations.
8) Database updates
• Maintain accurate financial data in the European Union (EU) databases and ensure online EU projects reporting
The above job description contains the main duties and responsibilities for this position. However, in a small organization such as IUCN, staff members are expected to show flexibility in their approach to work and be willing to undertake other tasks that are reasonably allocated to them but which are not part of their regular job description. Where any task becomes a regular part of an employee's responsibilities, the job description will be changed in consultation with the employee and the Human Resources Management Group.
• At least 5 years of relevant professional finance experience in Belgium, preferably in non-profit sector.
• Good knowledge of Belgium and international accounting and reporting structures
• Demonstrated skill and practice in financial planning and budgeting
• Experience with the EU funding
• Excellent analytical skills
• Good communication skills
• Hands-on mentality, results driven and team player
• Coaching skills and ability to support others to perform financial tasks
• Ability to work with minimum supervision and function in a multicultural environment
• Excellent knowledge of English
• Excellent knowledge of French or Dutch
• Excellent computer skills, including knowledge of NAV financial system
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
IUCN is a membership Union uniquely composed of both government and civil society organisations. It provides public, private and non-governmental organisations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together.
Created in 1948, IUCN is now the world’s largest and most diverse environmental network, harnessing the knowledge, resources and reach of more than 1,400 Member organisations and some 15,000 experts. It is a leading provider of conservation data, assessments and analysis. Its broad membership enables IUCN to fill the role of incubator and trusted repository of best practices, tools and international standards.
IUCN provides a neutral space in which diverse stakeholders including governments, NGOs, scientists, businesses, local communities, indigenous peoples organisations and others can work together to forge and implement solutions to environmental challenges and achieve sustainable development.
Working with many partners and supporters, IUCN implements a large and diverse portfolio of conservation projects worldwide. Combining the latest science with the traditional knowledge of local communities, these projects work to reverse habitat loss, restore ecosystems and improve people’s well-being.